nine fourteen days in to the New Year and I thought it might be time to share my New Years Resolution with you. It’s more of a New Years Mission, actually. I enjoyed my treehouse prints immensely last year and am always being asked if I can do this or that tree for people. Well, how about I do all of them?! I plan to do a treehouse image for each tree species native to the UK in 2013. There are only 22, that’s nearly two a month, simple.
I am already looking forward to each and every one…I’ve included the list for you at the end of this post. I can’t even see one dud in there that can’t be made into a lovely print. I thought ‘Strawberry Tree’ might be a bit of a non starter, until I actually saw one last weekend. Its huge, evergreen and beautiful. I suppose the Poplar is a bit spindly, but I can still make use of that…. Hawthorn, that’s a gnarly little thing, isn’t it. But it’s everywhere and it makes up our hedgerows and birds love them so who am I to judge?
You might notice that I have already done Apple and Pine, but they’re good ones, and if I get enough time, I’m all over those all over again!
I’m most looking forward to Birch, Oak and Yew.
OK, wish me luck!
Here is the list of natives, in case you were wondering… We have some beautiful trees here on this little Island.
- Alder (Alnus glutinosa)
- Apple (Malus sylvestris) Crab Apple
- Ash (Fraxinus excelsior) Common Ash
- Birch (Betula pendula) Silver Birch
- Beech (Fagus sylvatica; southern Great Britain only) European Beech
- Box (Buxus sempervirens; southern England only)
- Cherry (Prunus avium) Wild Cherry
- Elm (Ulmus glabra) Wynch Elm
- Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna) Crataegus monogyna
- Hazel (Corylus avellana) Common Hazel
- Hornbeam (Carpinus betulus; southern Great Britain only) European Hornbeam
- Holly (Ilex aquifolium) European Holly
- Juniper (Juniperus communis) Common Juniper
- Lime (Tilia cordata; southern Great Britain only) Small Leaved Lime
- Maple (Acer campestre; southern Great Britain only) Field Maple
- Oak (Quercus robur) Pedunculate Oak
- Pine (Pinus sylvestris) Scots Pine
- Poplar (Populus nigra; southern Great Britain only) Black Poplar
- Rowan (Sorbus aucuparia) European Rowan
- Strawberry Tree (Arbutus unedo; Ireland only) Strawberry Tree
- Willow (Salix alba) White Willow
- Yew (Taxus baccata) European Yew